Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Perfect Imperfections


Body image is a term that may refer to a person's perception of his or her own physical appearance, or interpretation of themselves. It is difficult to have a positive body image when the average American looks in the mirror around forty times a day. Finding imperfections is inevitable.
About four years ago, I was diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder. Medically, this means that the affected person is concerned with body image, manifested as excessive concern about and preoccupation with a perceived defect of their physical features. The person thinks they have defects on several features of their body, which causes psychological distress that causes clinically significant distress or impairs occupational or social functioning.

I am constantly occupied with thoughts of my imperfections. It drives me CRAZY that I cant change. What I can change is my attitude towards them. I may not like my nose, but with it I am able to smell the beautiful roses my roommates and I bought for our kitchen table. I am not fond of my teeth but with them, I am able to chew my food before swallowing. Preventing any kind of choking! I don’t like my hair, how tall I am, my eyebrows, my chin, the shape of my face, my skin and my feet. I always thought of these physical traits as abnormal and ugly. The truth is, they have an important purpose. When I look at all the blessings I receive from my imperfections, I realize that I really should be grateful. I will admit, some days it is harder to recognize these benefits; but when you try hard enough, you can always find something!

I’m nowhere near perfect. I have some serious flaws, but I accept them. Life isn’t about being ornamental; it’s about being instrumental. Making a difference in this life. Helping others. Making this world a better place. Some days I may fall, but I have promised myself that I will ALWAYS get back up and try that much harder. 

The following pictures...FAILED...miserably 



- jac

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness. the "failed" pictures are hilarious and adorable.I love reading all your personal posts. You are such an inspiration jac. Love you forever.

    ReplyDelete